Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Kid suspended for talking to mom in Iraq

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member burton2019's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2004
    Posts
    7,723
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Kid suspended for talking to mom in Iraq

    COLUMBUS, Georgia (AP) -- A high school student was suspended for 10 days for refusing to end a cell phone call with his mother, a soldier serving in Iraq, school officials said.

    The 10-day suspension was issued because Kevin Francois was "defiant and disorderly" and was imposed in lieu of an arrest, Spencer High School assistant principal Alfred Parham said.

    The confrontation Wednesday began after the 17-year-old junior got a call at lunchtime from his mother, Sgt. 1st Class Monique Bates, who left in January for a one-year tour with the 203rd Forward Support Battalion.

    Cell phones are allowed on campus but may not be used during school hours. When a teacher told him to hang up, he refused. He said he told the teacher, "This is my mom in Iraq. I'm not about to hang up on my mom."

    Parham said the teen's suspension was based on his reaction to the teacher's request. He said the teen used profanity when taken to the office.

    "Kevin got defiant and disorderly," Parham said. "When a kid becomes out of control like that they can either be arrested or suspended for 10 days. Now being that his mother is in Iraq, we're not trying to cause her any undue hardship; he was suspended for 10 days."


  2. #2
    Inactive Member Shoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2002
    Posts
    1,620
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kid suspended for talking to mom in Iraq

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Cell phones are allowed on campus but may not be used during school hours.

    [/ QUOTE ]
    What is the point of allowing cell phones if they are not allowed be used.


    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Now being that his mother is in Iraq, we're not trying to cause her any undue hardship

    [/ QUOTE ]
    How many times will this kid get to talk to his mother while she is in Irag. Why allow the kid to step outside for a few mins and talk to his mom.
    "Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood."

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    5,094
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kid suspended for talking to mom in Iraq

    especially at lunch time, its not like he was missing class. I think its funny they dont want to cause her any hardship, hell, iraq is one big hardship. I think they disrespected her big time. There are wayyy too many rules in this country and half of them arent even good rules.

  4. #4
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Kid suspended for talking to mom in Iraq

    It is a joke, they let'em drive, they let'em work and cut'em for federal and state taxes and social security , but this "child" can't be given time to talk to his mother during lunch. The line between adult responsibilities and privileges is blurred in the high school years. Personally I would find a way to even up the score. What if mama never comes home? I'd be willing to bet the kid is dealing with more than the teacher, if mom is in Iraq. Maybe Virginia ain't the most redneck state in the union! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_juggernaut28's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    941
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kid suspended for talking to mom in Iraq

    I think about it this way, It's not like the mother can just come home everyday and see her son's face and hear his voice ask him how his day went. I don't know how often she gets to talk to him, but if it's not often then I'd say she calls whenever she can. Given he is at school then the time limit is minimum. I don't see why the school teacher couldn't have given him a few minutes to talk. If it were me I would be thinking maybe it could be the last time I heard his voice. I know there are rules at school that need to be followed but jeez something like this should be worked out without suspension.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member cats78's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2004
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kid suspended for talking to mom in Iraq

    The person that suspended the boy needs to be punched in the face.

  7. #7
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Kid suspended for talking to mom in Iraq

    Obvioulsy the teacher had a problem... stupidity!
    I wouldn't have ended the call either.
    I hope the boy's mother comes home safely!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member PainfullyTaken's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 8th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Kid suspended for talking to mom in Iraq

    I hope that teacher can sleep well at night just knwoing that at any minute anything can happen to that boy's mother..I can't believe some people in this world sometimes...
    *~WhaT*HaVe*i*BeCoMe?*mY*SwEEteSt*FriEnD~
    ~EvErYonE*I*KnoW*GoEs*AwAy*In*tHe*EnD~*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •